Keystone logo

Study Law in Croatia 2024

Change currency

Basic monthly living cost

  • Rent in a shared flat

  • Share of utilities

  • Internet subscription

  • Local transportation


Sample lifestyle cost

  • Fast food combo

  • Cinema ticket

  • Pint of local beer


Visa Requirements

What type of Visa do you need?

Visa name

Student Visa (Viza C) / Student Residence Permit

Price and currency

HRK 500

The application fee for the temporary residence permit for the purpose of studying is 500 Kuna (around 65 EUR).

International students receiving a grant from the Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports and the Agency for Mobility and EU Programs are exempted from this fee but they should pay for the cost of the issuance of the residence card in the amount of 240,00 HRK (approximately 35,00 EUR) and the duty stamp fee of 20,00 HRK (approximately 3,00 EUR).

Who can apply for the visa?

International students who wish to study in Croatia must apply for a temporary residence permit if their stay in Croatia is for a period of more than 90 days.

Citizens of the European Union do not need a visa. However, a passport and an identity card are required. For everyone else, a visa is needed, which can be obtained from your nearest Croatian consulate.

Information on countries subject to the visa requirement can be found on the web site of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs:

Where can you make the application?

Diplomatic Mission or Consulate of the Republic of Croatia

The visa application (Viza C) must be submitted to the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in the foreign national’s home country. The visa application can be submitted either in person or via e-mail.


How to make the application?

Candidates must fill in the visa application form (Viza C) and submit it along with the required documents to the Croatian embassy or consulate in their place of residence. Candidates can submit the application through email or in person.

The following documents must be submitted:

  • One-color photograph 35x45 mm
  • A valid passport and photocopy of a passport (non-EU citizens) or identity card (EU citizens)
  • Proof of secured housing (e.g. written proof of secured accommodation in the student dormitory or an apartment lease and proof of the landlord’s apartment ownership for students in private accommodation). Please note that upon your arrival in Croatia, within 48 hours, you have to register your address at the Foreigners Office at the local Police Administration Office. If you are staying at a hotel or student dormitory your address will be automatically registered.
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of sufficient funds to support oneself: a scholarship or proof of having access to finances in the amount of at least 1,000 Kuna per month for 12 months. The proof of receiving a scholarship is issued by the legal entity granting the scholarship and the proof of finances is issued by a bank in the form of a bank statement.
  • Proof of admittance to a higher education institution in Croatia written in the Croatian language.

When should you apply?

Students submitting an application to the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in their home country should do so prior to their scheduled arrival in Croatia. The usual procedure can take three months or longer (including the time needed for all the necessary documents to be translated into Croatian). There is also a fast-track option for handling the application and students can request this at the diplomatic mission or consulate, in which case they pay a higher fee.

The temporary residence permit is usually granted for the duration of one year or for the duration of the academic year.

Processing time

3 Months

Work opportunities

All full-time students at Croatian higher education institutions can apply for occasional student work. The same applies to international students.

In Croatia, the employment of full-time students is handled by the Student Service Center (Student Services) which has subsidiaries in all university towns and elsewhere.

International students attending short study programs (exchange students, guest students) have to check with the higher education institution they are applying to whether or not they are allowed occasional student work via the student service center and under which conditions.

If an international student is allowed occasional student work via the Student Service Center, she/he can register by coming in person to the Student Service Center and filling out a form.

Hours per week


Why do you need this type of visa?

Your visa application may be rejected if you are not able to show proof of the required funds, or if you provide incorrect or incomplete documents.